March 3, 2014

Fudgy Carrot Cake Cookies

Pin It!
 
Today's post is going to be short.
 
All you need to know will be summed up in the next 10 words.
 
Fudgy
 
Carrot Cake
 
Cookies
 
Whole Grain
 
Dairy Free
 
90 calories
 
 
These are amazing little cookies!  They are super soft, more so than my average cookie, which is why they earned the word fudgy in their title (an award usually given to brownies only!)
 
But they are still chewy, because we've got equal amounts of oats and whole wheat stirred in. 
 
And they are dairy free, because of two things.  One, coconut oil and applesauce in place of butter.  Two, enough cinnamon and spice to eliminate the need for baking chips.
 
Bam.
 
My whole family gave me so much flack over these.  I mean, you should have heard the fuss. 
 
"Don't tell me you are putting veggies in a dessert?  Seriously?"
 
Yes, seriously, because this doesn't taste like veggies.  This has 3/4 cup of brown sugar, relax.
 
And I'm not exaggerating when I say every single member of my family liked them.  From my Dad to my Mom to Luke to Abigail.  That is saying something.  You really don't taste the carrots, they just add moisture and texture.  What you do taste is the cinnamon.  And the chewy oats.  And that wonderful brown sugar.

 
Oh, and let us not forget that these cookies will not break the bank when it comes to your diet.
 
Note: I am not on a diet, but these recipes are most popular on Pinterest, so I make them.  Just for all my friends who will have questions after this goes live ;)
 
However, if you want a treat that will fill you up, satisfy your sweet tooth, and be ready in 30 minutes - all for 90 calories a cookie? 
 
Then this is for you.
 
 
 
Fudgy Carrot Cake Cookies (whole grain, dairy free)
Recipe Source: The Sweet {Tooth} Life.  Adapted from Averie Cooks
Yield: 20-22 cookies
 
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
3/4 cups brown sugar, packed
1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup carrots, grated, loosely packed
 
Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease cookie sheet.
Whisk together melted coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
Beat in egg. 
Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda, and salt.
Add flour, stir until combined.
Add oats and carrots.
Scoop onto baking sheet and place baking sheet in freezer for 10 minutes.
Remove from freezer and flatten tops of cookies slightly.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Let cool before serving. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Your comments make my day!

DMCA.com Protection